First Weeks as a Freshman

Hello everyone! As you may notice, this is my first year blogging, so I’d like to introduce myself!

My name is Rebecca DiValerio, and I am currently enrolled as a freshman at the lovely University of Scranton. I am majoring in Biochemistry, Cellular, and Molecular Biology with a minor in Psychology, with a Pre-Medicine concentration. I live in a triple in the all girls dorm of Gannon, Lavis, and McCormick, which is in prime location near DeNaples and the academic buildings! I am from Aston, Pennsylvania, which is right outside of Philadelphia. I am also one of the Psychology Tutors for Scranton. My goal for this blog is to tell you all about the trials and tribulations of your typical college freshman from my viewpoint, so here goes nothing…

Move in day was August 24th, 2013 for the Freshman. It was so hectic from all of the Fall Move-In volunteers (who were fantastic!) bringing in boxes after boxes, all of the upset parents, the cranky siblings who just wanted to go home, the Freshman who were bittersweet about leaving home, not knowing were to put all of your stuff, and meeting your roommate or roommates and their families. It was also so busy because the school had so many things planned for us like convocation, mass, the class dinner, and the magician who was hilarious! It felt pretty awesome to be able to grow more independent. The only thing about being independent that I don’t like is laundry, its really time consuming so props to all of the families that do it for everyone else!

Finding all of your classes before the first day was a struggle. The science center is numbered weirdly, and you barely know where anything is yet, including buildings! I’m still referring to my schedule and its already week three of classes! It’s also different to have so much time on your hands between classes that you sometimes lose your thoughts on what to do. Time management is key for freshman because we want to be successful in school so you must study a lot, you want to meet to new people, experience new things, go to the gym and have some down time on top of eating, cleaning, laundry, and keeping clean. Most of us are finally getting the hang of it, but waking up on your own can be still be a struggle for most. Trust me, my roommate Monica, who is awesome, can’t wake up half of the time even after you shake her.

The school has so many things to offer to Freshman; you can’t decide what to do! Sometimes we all wish that it wasn’t mandatory for all of these freshman meetings, but we all have to go through it, did go through it, or will go through it. The activities fair was excellent though because all of the students were able to walk around to the different tables to learn about all of the different clubs and activities the school has to offer! I honestly had to idea which ones were worth signing up for or not because I wanted to do them all! I ended up joining the Health Professions Organization, which has already been extremely helpful, Colleges Against Cancer, Biology Club, and the Programming Board. The Service and Volunteer Fair is coming up on Tuesday, September 10th, which you should all plan on attending!

Over the first week, there was La Fiesta Italiana in downtown Scranton over labor day weekend, and the 125th birthday party that USPB ran! At the Italian festival, there was carts and carts of delicious, homemade Italian delicacies. So for my fellow Italians and I, it was heaven! You could smell the food from blocks away! They even had fireworks and live music to top it all off!  At the birthday party, the cake was huge, and there was a group photo taken. It was a lot of fun and I was glad to be a part of the photo!

There has been so many great things around the University of Scranton already, and I’m not even including them all! I can’t wait to see what else this year and the next four years of my life have in store for me!

Remember, feel free to leave a comment and have a lovely week! :)

Rebecca

Rebecca L. DiValerio

Hello there! My name is Rebecca DiValerio and I am a freshman at the lovely University of Scranton. I am majoring in Biochemistry, Cellular and Molecular Biology, while also being on the Pre-Medicine concentration and will hopefully pursue a Philosophy Minor. I am from Aston, Pennsylvania which is right out side of Philadelphia. I am so happy to be given this opportunity to write about my new home, Scranton, and I hope you enjoy my blog! If you have any questions feel free to comment and I'll be sure to get back to you! Enjoy your day, you never know what awaits for you! "As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others" - Audrey Hepburn

6 thoughts on “First Weeks as a Freshman

• Yes, Scranton really is the place to be! I highly recommend it to all prospective college students and it took a little bit to get used to it but I think I’m used to it here now! Thank you for reading and responding! (:

• There are many other students that also write blogs for the school around similar topics so feel free to check them out as well!