Jumping Right Back In!

Hi everyone!

I hope you all had a nice winter break! I definitely had fun, but it is great to be back on campus for another exciting semester! As usual, my schedule is already maxed out with meetings, work, classes, homework and friends – but hey, I love keeping busy!

I definitely was able to jump right back into my life here at the U. Upon move-in this semester, I immediately was able to catch up with all of my friends, many of whom I had not seen all of break. As I have mentioned in previous posts, I live in Cura Personalis, a living-learning community which centers around faith, service and justice. I have lived in Cura Personalis since freshman year, meaning that this year, I am fortunate enough to be able to live on a floor with all of my closest friends! That made it especially easy for me to find and hug all of my friends on move-in day this semester (I am particularly a fan of the slow-run-and-jump-hug that you always see in cheesy movies! :))

Apart from catching up with friends, I have been making to-do lists so that I can tackle everything on my plate this semester! (To any perspective students reading this – to-do lists will become lifesavers once you hit college!!) Currently on mine, I have written:

1) Clearances & Teacher Candidacy Application

2) Study Abroad application

3)  Aquinas article & editing

4) Admissions blog post (I suppose I can cross this one off the list now!)

5) Everything Royal Ambassadors

Clearances and Teacher Candidacy go hand in hand – they all have to do with my Education classes. As I have mentioned before, I am a Secondary Education and English double major. For the Education aspect of my major, I must undergo Teacher Candidacy before I can begin student-teaching, and I must attain proper Clearances before I am able to even be allowed into the classroom. I am so excited to go through the Teacher Candidacy process. I love the idea of becoming a teacher, and am so passionate about Education! Speaking of Education, I was accepted yesterday into the Education Honors Society, Kappa Delta Pi. I am SO excited to be a member of this community. I just love that The University of Scranton provides its students with so many opportunities to join honors programs centered around their majors. For more information on the various honors programs that the U offers, click here!

Next on my list is…STUDY ABROAD! I feel so fortunate to attend a University that offers so many diverse study abroad opportunities. I am especially grateful that I am able to study abroad as an Education major, as there are many tight restrictions and regulations on the major, and lots of mandatory classes that I need to take in America in order to comply with Teacher Candidacy. But I was determined to go abroad, and the study abroad office, as well as my academic adviser made it possible for me to go! Ever since freshman year, I have been meeting with the head of the study abroad office to map out a study abroad plan! After a ton of meetings and planning, I have decided to apply to study abroad in CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA! How awesome is that?!?! I am beyond excited, and cannot wait to hopefully embark on my adventure to Cape Town next fall semester!!!

In all of my excitement to study abroad in Cape Town, I have been shamelessly Facebook-stalking my friend who is there now! He cuddled with a baby lion a few weeks ago…so guess what just shot up to the top of my bucket-list for when I study abroad there?! Baby lions, and elephants, and giraffes – oh my! :)

Below is the picture of my friend cuddling with the baby lion in South Africa:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzafrica

Also, here are other pictures of South Africa (Because it’s just so beautiful and I am just so excited!)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzafrica zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzafrica

Next on my to-do list is “Aquinas article & editing.” This semester, I became the section editor for the Forum – the opinion section of the Aquinas, The University of Scranton’s student newspaper. I have been a staff writer for the Forum since my first semester freshman year, and I have loved it ever since! This Thursday, the first issue of the semester will be printed, which is super exciting! That being said, once I finish typing this blog post, I am going to head on down to the Aquinas office to edit my section for the rest of the night! I am SO excited to be a part of the Aquinas editing staff this semester, and cannot wait to edit some awesome articles tonight! For more info on the Aquinas student newspaper, check us out on Facebook by clicking here!  Additionally, check out the Aquinas archives and browse through some awesome old UofS newspapers by clicking here!

After writing this blog for Admissions, the last thing on my to-do list is “Everything Royal Ambassadors!” As I have mentioned in other blog posts, I am one of five co-directors of Royal Ambassadors, meaning that I oversee and help organize the UofS Royal Ambassadors. Royal Ambassadors are workstudy students who work as tour guides, greeters, and event workers for Admissions. It’s an awesome job to have! This month is super busy for Royal Ambassadors, seeing that every weekend this month is a Royal Nights weekend! Royal Nights is an overnight program for seniors who were accepted to the University of Scranton this year. The accepted student gets paired up with a current student for a Sunday night, meets other accepted students at various events, and attends two classes in their major the following day. I am hosting an accepted student this weekend, and I can’t wait! Also, for my job as a co-directer I will be working Royal Nights check in. Royal Nights is an AWESOME program, and I definitely encourage any accepted students to come! For more info on Royal Nights, click here!!!

Well, that’s all for now! As you can see, it is easy for UofS students to pick up right where we left off last semester and jump back into the many fun and exciting opportunities that the University of Scranton has to offer!

Have a lovely week!

Sarah :)